My guest today is Sonja Forrester.
Some of you may remember Sonja from days gone by, but one thing hasn’t changed.Just as always, she can usually be seen with a cat around her feet.
Sonja will share her thoughts about Christmas and let us peek into her home as it was decorated for Christmas last year.
1. Do you celebrate Christmas?
Yes. Generally, on Dec 24th, Christmas Eve, but also occasionally Dec 25th.
2. Have you ever spent Christmas alone?
No, I have not. I am fortunate that I have never experienced being completely alone.
3. Have you ever had a non-traditional Christmas dinner? What did you have?
Yes, we had steak and prawns.
4. What are your thoughts on gift giving?
I can take it or leave it. I admit it is fun to open a little surprise of some kind, but more fun to watch the people you are with open their gifts/stockings.
5. What was the most fun activity you’ve done at Christmas?
Watching the cat react to her new toys. Oh wait…that would be the most fun activity the cat had. Mine would have been when I was a young child and my parents left little clues around the house until I found my parcel.
6. Do you have stockings either at Christmas, or on St. Nicholas Day?
Yes, we generally only have stockings. Not too often do we buy “gifts.”
7. What was the best gift you ever received at Christmas?
When I was about 4 or 5, I received an “ANNIE OAKLEY” doll. She was my idol in those days.
8. What was the best homemade gift you ever received?
Handmade tablecloth, napkins and placemats. Homemade candles, bath bombs, baked goods. These things mean more to me than any purchased gift.
11. Have you ever given a homemade gift? Tell about it.
I used to spend hours making gifts for giving at Christmas. There were many lavender sachets for closets and drawers, beeswax candles, bath bombs, clothing that I had made, picture frames that were made from fabric, doll clothes. I once made my niece an entire wedding party’s ensemble for all her Cabbage Patch dolls. Also made her a dress, with another matching one for her Cabbage Patch doll.
12. What would you change about Christmas?
Less commercialism, perhaps more homemade or handmade gifts, more music, family and being thankful for what we have.
13. What is your favourite Christmas music or song?
Leise Rieselt der Schnee.
14. What do you like best about Christmas?
Music and choirs singing.
15. Any additional thoughts about Christmas?
It seems to me that there are so many people out there that get themselves very stressed out trying to find “the perfect gift” for someone. Everyone should be happy just to have their loved ones near, food on the table, and a warm bed to crawl into.
Do you have pets that make your Christmas special? Leave a comment and tell us about it.