My guest today is Dan O’Brien, the author of many books. He enjoys writing dystopian novels – stories of weird situations that we probably hope will never really happen on Earth. Still, after you read them, you won’t be able to stop thinking about them.
1. Do you celebrate Christmas?
I do indeed. I am thinking of moving closer to my family once again so my wife and I could spend more time with them.
2. Have you ever spent Christmas alone?
I did a few times when I was in my late teens and early twenties. It was kind of a sad affair.
3. Have you ever had a non-traditional Christmas dinner? What did you have?
I’m not really sure what a non-traditional dinner would entail. We sometimes spend the holidays with friends if we are unable to be with family.
4. What are your thoughts on gift giving?
I prefer giving gifts that are made instead of purchased. I am personally not a fan of gift-giving during the holidays because of the forced necessity. I like to give smaller gifts throughout the year.
5. What was the most fun activity you’ve done at Christmas?
Play games with my family during a holiday break. Great part of my year, every year.
6. Do you have stockings either at Christmas, or on St. Nicholas Day?
I do not. We don’t have a fireplace and I feel like one is required in order for proper stockings.
7. What was the best gift you ever received at Christmas?
Simply the gift of family.
8. What do you do with gifts you don’t like?
I will generally give them to pledge drives or for needy families.
9. Have you ever given a homemade gift? Tell about it.
I write books for living.
10. What would you change about Christmas?
Nothing. Christmas is personal. The holidays are about family. I don’t really care how anyone else spends it.
11. What is your favourite Christmas music or song?
Silent Night perhaps?
12. What do you like best about Christmas?
Family time, for sure.